Justseeds Artists’ Cooperative
owner/member since 2007
Collaborating within Justseeds, an artist-owned cooperative of printmakers and graphic designers, I work collectively to create powerful illustrated inspiration within people’s movements as a foundation for civic protest. As a cross-continental, multi-ethnic worker-owned cooperative, we situate our work within a historical trajectory of public graphics production as a critical element of global social movements for justice.
- I am the researcher and writer for Justseeds’ first collectively produced publication,
Firebrands: Portraits from the Americas (Microcosm Publishing, 2010) with Bec Young.
- I’ve contributed print work to many of our collaborative portfolios: Resourced (2010), War is Trauma (2012, with Iraq Veterans Against the War), Migration Now (2013, with Culture Str/ke), Liberating Learning (2014), Wellspring (2016), the Poor People’s Campaign portfolio (2018), and Tierra y Libertad (2019/unreleased, with Escuela de Cultura Popular Mártires del 68).
- I’ve created designs for Justseeds member Josh MacPhee’s popular ongoing Celebrate People’s History poster series: Eliseé Reclus(2003), the Kalamazoo Corset Company Strike of 1912 (2008, with Sara Beth Meister), and The Luddites (2014).
- I curated “Guns vs. Butter” in 2012, an exhibition of anti-war print work by Justseeds combined with the historic poster collection at the Interference Archive.
I’ve participated in several of our large, collaborative gallery installations:
- Gathering Autonomy – 511 Gallery: Pacific Northwest College of Art, Portland, Oregon (2015)
- Uprisings: Images of Labor – Union Art Gallery: University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI (2013)
- Refuge, 29th Biennial of Graphic Arts: International Centre of Graphic Arts, Alkatraz Gallery,
Ljubljana, Slovenia (2011)
- untitled installation as part of the 2011 Pittsburgh Biennial – (collaboratively conceived and organized with Bec Young, Mary Tremonte and myself and curated by Astria Suparak), Miller Gallery at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA (2011)
- Which Side Are You On? – Union Art Gallery (University of Wisconsin), Milwaukee, WI (2009)
- Out of the Shell of the Old – Space 1026, Philadelphia, PA (2008)
Most of my prints are available through the Justseeds shop. I have also provided some of my graphics as free downloads under Creative Commons licensing.
I have managed the Justseeds World Distribution Headquarters in Pittsburgh since 2010.